Wednesday 12 January 2011

Beating the Bounds to Bedlam.

I read a small news report today about a teacher somewhere in Britain who has been summarily dismissed from his post. His ‘crime,’ apparently, was that he brought a sled into school and allowed a couple of pupils to ride on it, thus contravening health and safety rules.

Now, I admit that I don’t know the full background to this story, but it certainly has a whiff about it. It smacks of the modern, mindless mania for rules and risk avoidance that is doing more than just throwing people out of jobs. It’s throwing all the normal, human modes of behaviour – honed through thousands of years of history – out of the window. Ironically, schools feed their children every day with a cocktail of man-made chemicals, the combinations of which have never been tested.

I said I was going to lapse into boring seriousness again, didn’t I. Bring back the madness, please. It makes more sense.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

That's crazy! And it sounds like something that would happen here in the US.
What happened to the good old days when we were all responsible for OUR OWN well being? And kids were allowed to be kids?
I can remember taking a sled to school when I was a kid and using it at recess. In fact the school had a small hill that they let the kids sled on. That was fun!

JJ said...

I'm not sure what's behind the mania, Jeanne, whether it's genuine (if maybe excessive and misplaced) concern, or whether it's largely driven by fear of litigation. There are a lot of lawyers wanting to get rich these days, aren't there?

There was another issue in Britain recently, concerning the abolute instruction given to music teachers that they must make no physical contact with pupils, not even to help adjust an arm or finger position or anything. Everybody is so afraid of being either accused of assault or sued for negligence.

Mother Moon said...

reminds me of the story of the boy here in the states that was not allowed to play sports because his hair was too long.

I agree such silly rules are ridiculous... there must be some awful prudess people out there

JJ said...

Really? How do they deal with girls playing sports?