Thursday 20 January 2011

Thinking Aloud.

I watched the film version of Jonathon Livingstone Seagull tonight. Beautiful images; shame about the dubbed voices. It was uplifting and disappointing in equal measure, but it did lead me to consider the twin principles of free thinking and truth.

It seemed to me that free thinking is not about choosing which pronouncement of the teacher, the priest, the debater, the scientist, the historian, or any other spokesperson for the establishment, to believe. It’s about going inside to seek higher consciousness and taking what we find there as our own truth. And this truth is, I think, the one we should rely on.

This is speculative and I invite no debate on the matter, not because I fear debate, but because I believe debate stifles free thinking. Debate is about clever words, competition and consensus, and can have no place here. This post is an exposition of one small, speculative element of my personal truth. I alone own it.

I haven’t seen MJ today. I’m missing him.

4 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Oh, mirthful one, where are you?

Definitely the inner sage, just got to free him from the chaff. No easy thing to do!

JJ said...

He went AWOL all yesterday, Mel. He does sometimes. Mr B gets a bit testy now, when he's left to hold the fort on his own. It gives him chance to have his say, though. Takes all sorts.

Anthropomorphica said...

I like the balance.

JJ said...

Me too.