Thursday 27 January 2011

That Elusive Something.

One of the things I’ve found most frustrating throughout my life has been the fact that my mind will only stretch so far. There have always been certain things I haven’t been able to grasp, and I’m not talking quantum theory here. I’m talking about the things I touched on in the post about the sea: things like the power of the ocean and the size of the universe.

The one that’s been most persistent, though, hasn’t been merely a matter of perception or understanding. Those things are relatively easy to let go; all humans have limits in such matters. It’s been the sense that there’s something hidden within or just beyond the physical world.

It’s always been landscape that has brought it on. It’s happened most often when I’ve been standing on a mountain looking down on the valleys and plains, or sauntering along a country lane on a still, silent, September afternoon, or walking in woodland in a summer mist, when the light has a seductive, ethereal quality. At such times I feel something that is quite indescribable. Something takes hold of my mind – a sound almost heard, a sweetness almost tasted, a sight almost seen, a presence almost touched, and a fragrance almost smelt. Always ‘almost.’ I’m sure it’s there, but it remains tantalisingly just out of reach. I’ve decided to stop trying. If it’s going to come, I expect it’ll do so in its own time.

Maybe it’s just an overly fertile imagination. Or maybe I really am mad.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Sometimes, we just have to accept the "mystery" Jeff, a deep and sometimes dangerously beautiful "landscape" that needs to be just shimmering on our borders of consciousness and reality as we know it...It's often referred to as the "Otherworld"

JJ said...

Problem is, Wendy, I was born impatient and intolerant of being told there's somewhere I can't go. As I see it, the Otherworld is no big deal. It's not like being Englightened or anything. It looks to me like just a sideways step through the curtain. And I want to see it, out of curiosity. I've wondered whether the right drug might do the trick, but my nature does have a little caution in it. I would want somebody there who knows the ropes.

Anthropomorphica said...

Jeff, I'm with you on both post and comment! I feel exactly the same way, in fact a little tear escaped because it spoke so deeply to me. I've been pondering the secrets of ethnobotany recently, not for recreation but to speak with that cosmic consciousness. I've been searching various ceremonies because I'd also like to go under the guidance of an expert.

JJ said...

Frustrating, ain't it Mel? Helen got some interesting results with a shamanic journey practitioner, but I'm a bit reluctant to have anybody enter my personal inner space. I even gave up on a reiki session once because I felt invaded.