Saturday 1 January 2011

New Year Disappointment.

Do you know what really disappoints me about Brit terrestrial TV? They went through a phase when at least one channel would have a New Year’s Eve show devoted to live Gaelic-and-similar music. There was one year when they broadcast a recording of a show called The Transatlantic Sessions, in which people like Ally Bain (a leading fiddler from Shetland who I’ve met and talked to a few times) and other artists from Ireland/Scotland would get together with some Country and Bluegrass artists from America and produce some magical music. They don’t do it any more. Not popular enough, I suppose. Now we get lots of pop people I’ve never heard of.

Why can’t they show some imagination and give us a concert by The Mediaeval Babes, or something? Changing times. The Plastic Priority wins again. Good job I’ve got some Altan and Julie Fowlis on my playlist, isn’t it?

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I think you need to write to the production company with your suggestions. Maybe they're stuck in a rut and don't know there's others like you who want a change of pace. I love Altan and strangely enough didn't listen to any music last night.

JJ said...

There are so many production companies with strange-sounding names though now, aren't there Wendy? I've written to the BBC several times over scheduling issues, but they don't seem to want to know.

Maria Sondule said...

Oh goodness. For our new years we had punk bands and outdated boy bands from the nineties. We also had a news reporter who spent her whole time on screen finding someone to kiss. It annoyed me.
BTW, before watching the countdown, Snark and I watched Wallace and Gromit, which is associated with the BBC. It made me think of you.

JJ said...

I'm glad, Maria. Wallce and Gromit is a great favourite of mine. I grew up in that kind of environment. Which one did you see?