Friday 7 January 2011

Getting Off on the Right Foot.

I’ve read several references recently to some arcane practice called ‘baby showers.’ I say ‘arcane,’ because the term was a complete mystery to me. I did notice, however, that all mentions of it came from Americans, so I wondered whether it might have something to do with The Pilgrim Fathers, the decommissioning of Ellis Island, or maybe Custer’s Last Stand. You know, something to celebrate. Apparently not. I read Kaetlyn’s blog tonight, and discovered the truth of it.

It seems there’s a practice in America of dragging friends, family and other sundry beings to a party for the benefit of a new infant. That benefit, apparently, consists of showering said infant with a plethora of goodies to fill the toy box, the attic, the linen cupboard and the garden shed. I exaggerate, of course. Or do I?

Now, there are two notable gaps in my knowledge of this subject.

The first is whether this is an exclusively American practice or whether it’s a worldwide phenomenon. The fact that I’d never heard of it doesn’t mean we don’t do it over here. Maybe we do. We bought into Disney, Dallas and MacDonald’s, so why not baby showers? Maybe I’m just behind the times.

The second concerns its genesis. Does it stem from some old, traditional practice or is it recent? Either way, it seems to me that the corporate executives and shareholders must be laughing all the way to their equally enraptured bankers. Not only have they managed to find yet another way to enrich themselves in a gloriously sustainable way, they’re also providing for the security of their bloated futures by ensuring that babies start off on the right foot - by being conditioned at the earliest opportunity to associate happiness and attainment with the Having of Lots of Things.

This is not an anti-American post. This is a daft-society-that-allows-itself-to-be-dragged-behind-the-corporate-gravy-train post. Most ‘developed’ cultures are guilty of that.

7 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

I don't believe the underlying concept of a baby shower, or rather a gathering to celebrate the coming baby, is exclusively American. If I remember correctly we learned about some hindu cultures having baby shower type ceremonies. In Ireland it's bad luck to have a baby shower, fear that giving gifts before the baby is born might jinx it. I don't know about other western cultures though.

The American baby shower consists, usually, of only the women in the family/friends. Men are spared the brutality. Except the father, he sometimes shows up. No exaggeration on the gifts. Baby-to-be is given everything under the sun. All things of which will be outgrown in a matter of months.
They used to be celebrations where all the women in the family would gather and talk about bringing up the baby, the new mother would ask questions and others would give family tips, traditions, or share stories.
Love capitalism and how it's switched from priceless stories and family tips and tricks to buying the latest and greatest baby products!

lucy said...

Baby showers are quite common in Australia too- we see/hear of them quite often. Like it wouldn't be a big surprise if someone- say a stranger- said, "I'm hosting a baby shower for a friend of mine". But I have no idea about its history nor its origin. But yeah- friends/family/whoever comes buys stuff for the baby/ies and, well, I'm guessing they're pretty expensive. Baby stuff always are.

andrea kiss said...

I think baby showers are nice, and i'm not just saying that because i'm pregnant and looking forward to receiving a lot of gifts.

I was actually supposed to go to a baby shower today for my cousin, Whitney, but she had to cancel it because of the snow... but that isn't the point i was going to make.

Babies are expensive! The main reason women have them is to help out the new family. At baby showers that i've been to people bring diapers of various sizes, bottles, clothes and a lot of things that are really useful and expensive but necessary, especially the diapers. Some people even bring clothing and strollers and things that they used for their babies, so it isn't always about going out and buying new stuff. But of course there are gifts of toys and decorations for the nursery and other things that aren't must have items for a baby. Its mostly about helping the new mother and father obtain things that they are going to need.

There is also food at the shower and everyone eats and socialized and at most showers there are also games and other fun things to do.

I think they're nice. They make me think of the "It takes a village to raise a child" saying. Its a woman thing, i guess.

andrea kiss said...

We also have Bridal Showers and House Warming parties in the states, too.

I thought this was interesting, so i thought i'd share:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seemantham

JJ said...

Kaetlyn: Your last sentence was the main point of the post. I stand corrected, though. I didn't realise the thing was held pre-natally. I can imagine the Brits having the same superstition as the Irish.

Lucy: The world has noticed that Britain tends to hang onto the coat tails of America economically and militarily. Australia (and a few other places) has a reputation for following America culturally. I don't know whether that's true or not, but maybe it explains the proliferation of baby showers.

Andrea: I do take your point, but let me put it this way. I've known a lot of people who've had babies over the last twenty years. They were all poor, none of them had baby showers, and they all got by perfectly well. I can't help wondering whether this practice is another manifestation of the rampant, free market mentality conditioning a whole population that the only way to belong is to have a surfeit of material possessions. I'm all for family and the community helping out, but I suspect that what was once a good principle has been hijacked by the self-serving interests of corporate America. Because, let's face it, what hasn't?

andrea kiss said...

I agree with you on that. I know that there are a lot of wealthy people who also have baby showers that are way over the top. People bring gifts but guests also get expensive gifts, there are expensive foods and are usually held at very expensive venues. It is just something that we do here in the states and people who have the means to have an extravagant shower will do so. There is also a lot of pressure to buy just the right kind of announcements and invitations and decorations, etc, so sometimes even having a shower itself is costly.

JJ said...

Well, whatever. I still look forward to hearing about your progress with the twins. Does that mean you have to have two showers? A friend of mine is expecting a boy and a girl. Presumably, she'd have to have a pink-themed one and a blue-themed one. She lives in the Czech Republic, though. Kafka country. I wonder what he'd make of baby showers. Ha! 'Trial - the Sequel.'