Monday 5 September 2011

Woolliness of Mind.

I’ve been trying valiantly to think of a suitable subject for a blog post tonight. It’s now 1.30 am and I think it’s time I gave up. The problem seems to be that I’ve gone all woolly minded, I have no focus, and I think the cause of my dilemma is the moving in of my new neighbour. It isn’t so much the fact that she’s here, more the being offered such profound ice breakers as:

‘The weather’s turned out nice, hasn’t it?’ ‘Is it OK if I park the trailer where I’m blocking your car in?’ and ‘What day do the bins get collected?’

All perfectly reasonable, of course; it’s me who’s weird. Small talk means making an effort, and that makes my brain woolly.

The one thing of note that’s come out of today is the noticing of different qualities of squeak. My bottle of 10-year-old Jura malt has a tight-fitting cork stopper, not the screw on top that standard blends have. When the stopper is removed, the squeak makes a sound that can only be described as ‘agonised.’ When it’s replaced, however, the squeak is eminently more wholesome and optimistic.

There. That was interesting, wasn’t it? Time for bed.

No comments: