Tuesday 6 September 2011

Missing the Grail.

Helen recently wrote on Wings of Desire that

‘The symbol of a maze with a unicorn at its centre represents the purity and patience required to discover something precious and elusive, and the moral that everything worthwhile requires sacrifice.’

It struck me that this is analogous with the Grail search, and probably explains why so few people ever find their own personal Grail. (I happen to believe that the Grail is an essentially personal thing, being the deepest longing of the true seeker.) Achieving purity and the capacity for patience is difficult, but attainable. It’s the sacrifice that’s the real problem. We humans always want life on our own terms, and building the concept of sacrifice into those terms somehow appears to dilute the value of he desired object.

But haven't I previously offered the conviction that, ultimately, the only goal truly worth pursuing is the oblivion that comes when reunion with universal consciousness is complete? I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself again. The raindrop first has to be a raindrop. Better carry on with that stage for the time being and continue the search.

No comments: