Sunday 18 September 2011

Being an Object of Faded Regard.

So, here’s the question:

You write to somebody and say ‘I can’t see any way ahead for us, can you?’ You get no reply, so eventually you follow it up with ‘I suppose it falls to me to say goodbye, then.’ And still you get no response.

Isn’t that a little discourteous? Not that it matters, as long as she’s happy. And I did get a good phrase out of the whole business:

‘An object of faded regard.’

Her phrase, you understand, and I like it; it’s concise, well constructed, and all the more expressive for so being. Having become such an object, I will now feel entitled to plagiarise it. I do like concise, well constructed, expressive phrases.

I’m only writing this because I’m bored. I’m not tired enough to go to bed and I feel like having a moan about something.

No comments: