Sunday 4 September 2011

Relating to Home.

My new neighbour moved her stuff in yesterday, and has moved herself in today.

It’s interesting to feel the difference in the perception of my living environment. Even when she isn’t visible or making any noise, the very knowledge that there is another human being beyond the wall radically alters the feel of the place. You must understand that I’ve had this little piece of earth to myself for eight and a half months now, and the next nearest habitation is a good two hundred yards away across a field. You get used to that. So far she’s proving friendly and considerate, so the change of perception isn’t so terrible, just different. Her car is now parked in front of one of the sycamores that were such big players in the Beltane experience. I thought I might resent that, but it didn’t prove to be a problem this evening. The near-palpable energy coming off that tree is as powerful as ever. The car seems puny by comparison.

--------------------------------------

On an obliquely related note, it surprises me a little that I’m not more successful at growing vegetables. You’d think a nature boy would be a naturally green fingered type, wouldn’t you? Apparently not. Maybe nature boys and sons of the soil are essentially different types. Maybe the former is more attuned to wildness, while the latter is rather more prosaic and infinitely more useful.

2 comments:

Orphin Lasz said...

Having new neighbors is always fun! Time to meet new people and such! I really hope your new neighbor is nice and friendly. Maybe you could take her a 'Welcome to the neighborhood' cake even! c:
I'm sure you'll get used to the change.

...And I couldn't help but laughing at your inability to grow vegetables, sir! ...mostly because I suffer from the same pain ; n ; Every single one of my attempts at gardening has died inevitably, leaving me with nothing but disappointment and broken dreams... Haha, maybe not to that extend..! At least, I can always make my own paper flowers..! ; 3 ;

JJ said...

Unfortunately, Orphin, neither cakes nor paper flowers are my forte. Not sure what is. Talking to trees?