Sunday 18 September 2011

Creatures of Avalon.

The Flying friends were on good form this evening. Three bats confined their patrol almost entirely to the space in front of me where they were silhouetted against an area of sky showing between two trees. There they flew back and forth across my eye line, sometimes diving, sometimes pirouetting, sometimes doing loop-the-loops, and sometimes darting close and missing my ear by inches. Then the Tawny Owl flew across the lane and settled in one of the trees, proceeding to kee-wick and hoo-hoo for quite some time. It was a show to equal anything I might find in a theatre.

I imagine there are those who find bats and owls creepy; such creatures are the stuff of gothic fiction and horror films. I don’t, and I’ve always been a fan of gothic fiction and horror films. And I suppose there are others who would consider the spending of a Saturday evening watching bats and listening to owls somewhat short of invigorating.

It’s all a matter of what you find invigorating. The Saxons can frolic in their mire all they like. I’ll take Avalon any time.

No comments: