Monday 12 September 2011

A Sad and Strange Day.

The sad thing about today is that I’ve finally come to the end of my bottle of Jura 10-year-old malt. I’ve been rationing it, and I’m finishing the last glass as I type. Tomorrow it’s back to exclusively the roughest of moonshine.

The really odd thing about today, though, is that I had an e-mail from Australia that set my heart palpitating heavily for a good two hours. That’s never happened in my life before, and it was pretty uncomfortable. Well, the palpitations were uncomfortable. The message was thrilling, worrying, awe-inspiring, doubt-inspiring, confusion-inspiring... You name it, it was inspiring! I admit to finding it a little disturbing that somebody can leave me floundering with the sheer depth, subtlety and wisdom of her awareness. In that situation, respect has to become axiomatic. The love was already a given.

I’ll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that the Jura 10-year-old malt is a great help in settling the poor ticker’s proclivity to palpitate.

4 comments:

Zz... said...

ooh, maybe you are supposed to come to australia??!!! i'm sure a romantic like you... you could even try habitation in a backwater for LOVE? ;)

JJ said...

Would it were that simple, Zhen. The lady in question (who really is utterly remarkable) has her own life to lead. My place is to remain physically distant and be endlessly inventive in finding ways to minimise the pain and frustration. Sometimes I'm good at it; sometimes I'm not. It seems I have no choice but to accept the experience, hard though it is sometimes.

Zz... said...

There's choices, creativity, invention...and excuses.

JJ said...

I'm going for choice and invention.