Wednesday 14 September 2011

Two Lamentable Faults.

When I took Helen back to the station yesterday we discovered that the train was running late, so we waited in the car and chatted for a while. A middle aged man drove onto the car park in a big, new, white, top of the range Jaguar, and got out to reveal his designer jeans and silk shirt. He was evidently meeting somebody off the train.

I soon discovered who – a pretty but po-faced, tarty girl in a short skirt. His daughter, I assumed. Of course, I don’t know whether she really was as spoiled and stuck up as she looked, but don’t you just hate that whole showy thing? It’s cheap.

Is this an example of inverted snobbery?

Am I being judgemental?

OK, knuckles rapped.

2 comments:

Zz... said...

yeah i hate the tarty look at me look too. silk shirts are comfy though :)

p.s what is po-faced?

p.p.s re your email YEAH see who said I'm a commitmentphobe...I'M the type that actually sticks around...most people approach friends as just the people they only turn to remember when they get dumped!

JJ said...

Po-faced means hard and expressionless, indicating a cold or haughty nature. I assume it derives from 'poker.' Must look it up.