Monday 19 September 2011

An Alien World.

There’s an advert in Hotmail from one of the furniture retail chains. It says:

£400 off every sofa.

I remember a time when that sort of thing mattered to me. Now, I would rather put up with alienation than go back there. I couldn’t, just couldn’t.

There’s another one that offers me a state-of-the-art TV for £15.99 a month if I combine it with a Virgin cable/phone package. See what I mean? That’s exactly the world I can’t live in any more. It’s full of aliens, eyes wide shut, dripping gadgets and consumed by lifestyle concerns.

4 comments:

Zz... said...

hear hear I think we need to emigrate to another planet.

JJ said...

I think all this is going to crash one day, Zhen, so you find the planet and I'll keep a bag packed.

Maria Sondule said...

I mean, if someone needs a sofa, it would be kinda nice....

JJ said...

But the ad isn't aimed at people who need sofas, is it? The ad is trying to persuade people who've already got perfectly good sofas to buy a new one, just because they can.