Saturday 10 September 2011

A Hopeless Wish.

Tonight I find myself a little swamped by the fervent desire that a blanket might descend upon the world, a blanket that smothers all aggression, leaving only peace, tolerance, friendship and mutual respect. I want an end to the violence and abuse that continues unabated at all levels of human society. I want a world that functions in love and harmony; and if that sounds like an old Coca Cola ad, it shouldn’t. I’m not some cynical corporation finding another cynical way to cynically sell another zillion bottles of fizzy, flavoured water. I mean it.

‘Ah, but you are being hopelessly naïve,’ say the politicians. ‘International affairs are far too complex.’

No, they’re not. All it takes is for every one of us to want to think of everybody else as brother or sister. If the will is there, the complications disappear.

I’m just one tiny voice crying in the wilderness, I know, just as many others have done before and will continue to do. I’m one grain of sand in a desert of six billion. But if we all felt the same way...

So what’s brought this on? All this talk about the security threat to New York, even though I know it might be yet another example of the ‘rule by fear’ tactic. Then again, it might not. I now have a personal reason to be concerned about the security of New York; somebody dear to me lives there. I know that shouldn’t make a difference, but it does. It’s one of my failings.

But of course, this isn’t just New York’s problem. This is humanity’s problem, and sometimes I get heartily sickened by the monkey in the mind of man.

And nothing will change.

2 comments:

Zz... said...

don't ya just hate being idealistic? ;) :P

JJ said...

I can't be any other way, Zhen. Or maybe I can, but don't want to. I admit, though, it does frustrate the hell out of me sometimes.