Friday 9 September 2011

Becoming a Local Celebrity.

Right, then; back to imagined reality.

The journalist came this afternoon to talk to me about my UFO sighting. She was a pleasant, free-thinking sort of woman who talked to me about all sorts of things – including her own UFO sighting, coincidentally in the very neighbourhood where I grew up.

Then she asked me whether I’d like to be interviewed for a sort of local-people-who-are-a-bit-interesting slot. Am I a bit interesting? I wouldn’t have thought so. Odd, maybe.

I haven’t decided whether I’ll do it yet. What worries me is that they might include a picture, and then somebody might recognise me in Ashbourne High Street and accost me as strangers are wont to do in that situation, and I might feel moved to counter with ‘Say, from whence you owe this strange intelligence, and why upon this blasted heath you stop our way,’ and the poor benighted person wouldn’t have a clue what I was talking about and would run around the town shrieking that there’s a madman on the loose, and then the good burghers would fasten me in the stocks and I’d be pelted with horse droppings until nightfall.

I exaggerate, of course. There are probably lots of people in Ashbourne who’ve read Macbeth. So maybe I will.

7 comments:

Zz... said...

oh suppress those introvert reservations and go for FAME! well cos there is a girl or two that would love to read the story and say they know a "celebrity"! ;)

JJ said...

But what about the horse shit?

Helen said...

Are you able to scan the article or post a link? I would love to see it. :)

Helen said...

BTW I meant the UFO sighting article, and the other one if you decide to do it.

JJ said...

I suppose so, but I think I'll wait to see how accurately they represent me first. I had personal experience once of a journalist putting words into somebody's mouth that were never uttered and weren't true, while missing the important bits because they didn't fit.

Helen said...

I was bitten badly myself once. I got into a lot of trouble at work and it wasn't even my fault, the journalist and another party had their own agendas and threw my name and work in to give their argument credibility.

I have been thinking lately that when people do anything for money then ethics go out the window. It is part of the reason I would rather not be paid for what I do. :)

JJ said...

Money, power, celebrity... I think modern culture tends to largely dismiss ethics as being fit only for the naive, the foolish and the poor.

Nice to know you, Helen.