Tuesday 13 September 2011

Shunning My Own Trumpet.

It seemed like a good thing to do at the time – join an internet organisation that purportedly exists to help publicise individuals’ books. They’ve already got my novel listed on their site, although how they came by it I have no idea.

I just got their welcome e-mail with a tutorial on how best to utilise their facility. It should be entitled ‘Ten Short Steps to Becoming an Ego-Maniac.’ No doubt they would call it self-publicity. One of the things they want me to do is engage with discussion groups. No thanks. I’ve done that before, several times, and I found that most of the people who made up such groups were ego-ridden, juvenile, pretentious, obsequious, self-congratulatory, and easily roused to unmerited hostility. In writing, as in many things, I’m a loner. So was Emily Bronte. OK?

They want me to do lots of other things as well, like inviting people to talk to me about my book.  What? ‘Excuse me, I’ve written a book. No doubt you’d like to talk to me about it.’ That has to be step number one in becoming an ego-maniac. And they want me to give them my ‘monthly marketing budget.’ Marketing budget? *falls off chair*

Best of all, though, they tell me they’ll help me to ‘grow as a writer.’ I don’t want to grow as a writer, even if I had the slightest faith in their ability to help me. I had some stories to tell, so I told them. Maybe I’ll tell some more one of these days. That’s it. Simple. I don’t do all that ‘I must grow as a such-and-such’ stuff. I do what my little brain recommends me to do; and when I get tired of doing it, I stop and do something else. It’s how I’ve been all my life, and along the way I’ve gathered a bit of experience. That doesn’t seem such a bad thing, since experience is all you can take with you when you go.

No doubt this post should have been entitled ‘One Short Step to Being Forever Unsuccessful.’

No comments: