Saturday 1 December 2012

Tonight's Drac Post.

I intended to make a post about what finally and irrevocably turned me off Stoker’s writing. Problem is, I went back to find the offending passage and for the life of me I couldn’t. Maybe I imagined it, or maybe I’m dreaming about Dracula now. That would be a hoot, wouldn’t it?

Tonight’s episode in which Van Helsing explains what gives the hunters the advantage over their quarry was actually rational, inventive, and adequately written, so I’d better hold fire on a final judgement.

Being now 2/3 of the way through the book, however, I do still have a general difficulty. The intrepid vampire hunters are so squeaky clean, so given to emotional outbursts and the holding of one another’s hands (which usually have grips of steel,) so inclined to speak in a nauseatingly florid language that goes way beyond the bounds of Victorian convention, and so insistent in their frequent assertions that they are working under God’s protective hand, that I sometimes have trouble being sure whose side I’m on.

No comments: