Thursday 13 December 2012

Regions of Reality.

I had a sudden conviction last night that there are three forms of reality – let’s call them regions – accessible by us humans. The first and densest region is the phenomenal world of routine waking reality. The second is the more rarefied dream region, which is easily experienced but only in a physically subdued state like sleep or trance. The third is the region of magic, myth and archetypes. This region is so ethereal, so far from us or hidden so deep inside, that we usually only get the hint of a smell or the sound of a distant echo from it.

This is my latest theory, and one that I’m hoping Carl Jung can elucidate for me. Mr J is the newest entry to my shopping list. It does, however, prompt one immediate thought:

I have observed that some people instinctively seek the third region with an unusual degree of seriousness and urgency. I’ve also observed that the greater mass of mundane humanity tends to describe such people as ‘dreamy.’ It says they need grounding; it even accuses them of escapism, which, by extension, implies inadequacy.

Maybe this is entirely wrong. Maybe such people are simply more aware of finer energies than the greater mass of mundane humanity.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting concept. Of course, I like the second and third the best; they're where revelations and deep thought dwell. Sometimes, my dreams are almost as vividly lived as my time in the waking world, and after a night's sleep, I wake up feeling enlightened.

People never describe me as dreamy. Scary, yes. Dreamy? Not so much. I have an intimidating intensity, they say.

Have you ever read anything by Joseph Campbell? Your talk of archetypes and myth brought him to mind.

JJ said...

Well now, that's interesting. Nothing in your comments to, or conversation with, me has suggested an intimidating intensity. That suggests you keep your communications on a tight rein until you're sure of a person, and that suggests you have a strongly guarded side, and that suggests you don't trust easily. None of which is any of my business, of course, and I'm certainly no Sherlock Holmes.

I'll bet your eyes can be scary, though, in the right mood.

And I have to admit to being an ignorant person because I've never heard of Joseph Campbell. I'll google him.

Anonymous said...

Flawless reasoning on all counts, Sherlock. Even the eyes.

Did you google him?

JJ said...

Then dare I go a stage further and guess that you set yourself high personal standards and have great regard for integrity in people?

Whatever.

I did google him, yes. Very impressive. You and he inspired a blog post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You read the manual, didn't you?

JJ said...

If that means what I think it means, no. I dislike manuals.

Anonymous said...

What did you think it meant?

JJ said...

That I was drawing stock diagnoses from a textbook, or - worse still - some sort of Agony Aunt's Guide to Wowing People in Order to Appear Clever.

Anonymous said...

Hah, no. It was a joke. You were so spot on that you must have found the manual to my type of person.

JJ said...

Oh, I see: that sort of manual. Having once been a civil servant for several years, I was thinking of the bureaucrat-style manual. My mistake.