Sunday 30 December 2012

The Power of Galadriel.

You know, I’ve never taken very much notice of Lord of the Rings, either the books or the much lauded film version. And yet I keep stumbling on YouTube compilations of clips from the film. They’re messing with my senses a bit. I mean, take a look at this:

 

This is where I’ve always wanted to go ever since I was a kid. This represents the combination of feminine beauty and power which is about the only thing – along with the Buddha, maybe – to which I would be prepared to bow. And yet it’s only a freggin’ film starring a bunch of well paid freggin’ actors!

I’m not sure what’s going on here. I’m not a kid any more. I’ve grown cynical over the years, and especially scornful of commercially-driven phenomena like high grossing films. And yet here I am in the final days of 2012 being completely wowed like a babe in arms by a fictional character with a funny name.

Maybe I really am a hobbit, or maybe I’m just losing the plot. Would I post this if I hadn’t had a drink or three? Probably not, so here goes…

No comments: