Saturday 22 December 2012

The Value of Wind-Down Time.

Recent circumstances have caused me to realise something about myself:

I have to have a period of at least 2-3 hours at the end of the day when the world is shut out. My HSP nature requires such a breathing space if I’m to relax sufficiently to go to repose. It’s why I go to bed so late, and have done ever since I became independent of parental control. If I’m denied it, if my breathing space is habitually disturbed, the effect is like boiling the water from a pot without replenishing it. I dry up and burn.

And not many people understand what I’m talking about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a fellow HSP I understand. However, that's why I go to bed so *early*, to wind down in darkness, listen to a book on tape and to get,hopefully, nine hours of sleep or more.
Mrs NY

JJ said...

Well, we all have our own ways, of course. For me, part of the value of the wind down time is to spend it in my regular environment, but gone quiet and unadulterated. I feel that my being can finally expand in such circumstances.