Sunday 2 December 2012

Approaching Yule.

Tonight expressed itself as a facsimile of a Dickensian Christmas Eve – misty and frosty with all the residual puddles turned to ice. Nothing stirred in The Shire save a strange man in a woolly hat and something mysterious making a noise that was a cross between a rumble and a growl in a field behind a hedge. Even the Beast of New House Farm was absent, no doubt settled in front of a warm fire, the smoke from which poured in sooty clouds from one of their chimneys.

What stood out in this crisp, abandoned scenario was the cascade of blue lights that the people from Rose Mount have once again hung in corkscrew fashion around their big fir tree. Their blue, pulsating helter-skelter is the first outdoor show of the season, the pub people having installed their indoor display about a week ago. What a shame that I have no interest at all in Christmas this year.

4 comments:

Wendy S. said...

I wish we lived closer so we could be "un Christmas" souls together. Your description of how The Shire looks and feels is beautiful though.

JJ said...

Actually, I do usually recognise Christmas by hanging lights and decorations around my living room, and by treating myself to a few nice things to eat and drink. That way I can generate a bit of a festive spirit that is entirely devoid of anything Christian or commercial. This year, however, I've a feeling that the Christmas period is going to be made uncomfortable by circumstances beyond my control, so the effort seems pointless.

Wendy S. said...

Sorry to hear that Christmas will be "forced" this year in a different way for you. I'm not one of those people who say, "ah, but change can bring new good things into your life." I"m hoping they are Jeff and the best I can say is that I hope this Christmas brings some comfort and joy even though it will be so different.

JJ said...

Thank you, Wendy, and I hope the same for you.