Friday 7 December 2012

Books A-Waiting.

I went into the small second hand book shop in Uttoxeter today, hoping they might have a copy of Frankenstein. They did, and that’s the third time in succession I’ve gone in there and found they had just what I wanted. On the last two occasions, the woman told me that somebody had brought one in ‘only yesterday.’ Do you ever get the impression that there are certain things you’re just meant to have?

My quandary now is whether to leave off the fledgling Jane Eyre and continue the gothic theme that’s been in the air for some weeks while reading Dracula. Don’t know; I’ll decide when I sit down to read.

And I discovered that the small town of Uttoxeter (population approximately 11,000 and apparently unpronounceable to Americans) was settled by Angles coming up the River Trent in about 600AD. Looking at it now, you’d never know.

No comments: