Wednesday 5 December 2012

Ashbourne 5/12

I bumped into my little pal, the Yorkie cross, today. He was wearing a coat and looked very smart. As he rested his head against my leg, his human told me that he’d come from a rescue centre. Apparently, somebody had thrown him out of a car onto the motorway. Well, it isn’t for me to judge the minds of others, but I still get a little nonplussed sometimes.

*  *  *

A young woman did a double take in the supermarket. The expression on her face suggested that she thought I might have been a celebrity or something. I looked away quickly, since that’s what celebrities do. Anyway, I am a celebrity. I have a blog, which makes me an international celebrity. It does. She didn’t chase after me for my autograph, though.

*  *  *

When I went into the loo for a pee, a man came rushing in and dashed into the cubicle bit. The ensuing noises suggested he’d eaten something that hadn’t agreed with him. It wasn’t very nice.

*  *  *

I bought a snow shovel in the hope that fate behaves predictably – giving you the opposite of whatever you’ve prepared for.

*  *  *

I had my very first taste of a liquorice juice stick, which I got from a health food shop. I’d never heard of liquorice juice sticks before, even though I’ve been a fan of liquorice all my life. It was very hard – easy to bite a bit off but quite impossible to chew. You just suck and suck until it fades to nothing. This isn’t the same as liquorice root, you understand. I used to buy those all the time when I was a kid because they were cheap and I had very little pocket money. It came from Turkey.

*  *  *

And now I must attend to my fire. They tell us it’s going to be very cold tonight – way below freezing and then some. I might have to forego the walk since the lanes have stayed wet all day and I don’t have any ice skates.

No comments: