Tuesday 25 December 2012

A Problem of Credibility.

I just watched some of Lord of the Rings, and I have to say I had a problem here and there. Laudable though the film is in many ways, there are occasions when the director's habit of putting spectacle before credibility wears a bit thin. Example:

The beautiful-is-an-understatement Arwen is galloping hell for leather with Frodo clutched to her chest, meaning to transport him to her neck of the woods to get his wound healed. The problem is, she’s got half a dozen Bad Guys in Black chasing her and it’s evident that they can ride just as fast as she can. They’re up alongside her, but she takes a bit of evasive action around a few tree roots and manages to get across the river before they do. At that point she turns and says ‘You want him, you come and get him.’ The BGIB follow her into the river, oblivious to the fact that she’s got some magic up her sleeve and has summoned a big wave to come crashing around the bend intent upon drowning them.

At this point it’s obvious that they have two options: the wave is some way off and there’s clearly enough time to either carry on chasing Arwen or turn round and go back to the bank. So which do they take? Neither. Instead, they turn right and gallop downstream ahead of the deluge… and get subsequently deluged. Serves them right for being so dumb, eh?

I really think I should read the books one of these days. I’m reliably informed that it’s worth the effort.

Tell you what, though: them elf women are certainly a cut above your average cheerleader.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting bit: that's actually not how it happened in the book. Not exactly, anyway. It's a male elf named Glorfindel who takes Frodo back to Rivendell. In the film, it looks like Arwen summons the flood, but in the text, Gandalf and Elrond opened the dam upstream. Gandalf conjured the horses in the waves as a little joke. Great sense of humor, he's got.

Oh, and Enya says "thank you."

JJ said...

You see? I need to read the book. Another problem I had with the film is that so much of The Shire looks like where I live (especially the sunken lane down which Gandalf makes his entrance near the beginning.) But I know it was filmed in New Zealand, and that awareness kept taking me out of the story. New Yorkers would have no such problem, of course.

I seem to be making internet connections with dogs this Christmas. Can't be bad.

Anonymous said...

You know what? There actually ARE some places, very little ones, in NY that look like The Shire. Same for this country. I find it brings me closer to the film, as I can more readily connect with Tolkien's place.

JJ said...

I assume you mean upstate New York. I suspect that a large proportion of Brits (and the rest of the world, too) are unaware of New York State. New York = skyscrapers.