Monday 24 December 2012

Singing Frogs and the Prospect of Dalliance.

I watched this little video earlier in order to assess, while I was still 100% sober, whether posting it would risk losing all my friends. You see, it’s the sort of thing that’s likely to make even an ardent fan of Disney roll their eyes with incredulity – and I’m not even an ardent fan of Disney. In fact I’m not a fan of Disney at all; I’m more of a sophisticated Looney Tunes man.

But it’s like this:

The Christmas when this was popular – ’84, I think it was – I had two prospective romantic dalliances simmering. It was the only time in my life when I had two pretty impressive roller coasters to choose from (although, as things turned out, the choice wasn’t mine to make: one of the ladies in question was already pushing; the other was out when I called her and the moment was lost. The pushy one got the goods, and I eventually discovered that she was a little way short of being my type of lady. I moved on eventually, but that’s another story.)

So anyway, the fact is that Mr McCartney’s Frog Song, or Frog Chorus, or whatever you like to call it, holds a moderately high place in my affections. It takes me back to a time when I still had cause to believe in prospects, and I miss my belief in prospects. I do. Besides, I have four further justifications:

a) It has Rupert Bear in it. He was my favourite cartoon character when I was a little boy, and his friend Tiger Lily was my first love at the age of about eight. The fact that Mr M saw fit to exclude my petite and charming Chinese heartthrob from the video I consider to be nothing short of scandalous and indicative of a poor sense of priorities; but then, I never was much of a fan of Mr M.

b) I like frogs.

c) It's... erm... sort of cute

d) I’m not 100% sober now. 

So I'm posting the video. Watch on an empty stomach.

6 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I remember that, the best bit of course is the frog chorus, strangely enough. I was rather fond of Rupert myself especially Raggety.

JJ said...

I thought you'd like the bit at the end where the owl takes off. In fact, I wondered whether you'd written it!

Anthropomorphica said...

The two jumping frogs tickled me, the video cut just as the owl took off and I don't remember what happened after that. Frogs leg soup?

JJ said...

Rupert says 'Look out!' I think you're supposed to hope that the owl went hungry.

Wendy S. said...

I thought that was very cute...Although I like the cats and the owl best. Do you know "Kermit" the frog from "Sesame Street?" These frogs are far less obnoxious. I'm glad you shared this video, catchy little tune.

JJ said...

Who doesn't know of Kermit, Wendy? The most celebrated of all frogs. And here's a little fact that's topical, but not particularly noteworthy:

Kermit and the Gang once did a musical version of A Christmas Carol, and I knew the very dancer whose legs doubled for Kermit's in the close-up shots. There's name dropping if you like! It was a woman, by the way.