Tuesday 4 December 2012

A Walking Nightmare.

While I was walking along Mill Lane tonight, I looked up at Polaris and projected my mind in that direction. Off it went swifter than the wind, along the Pennines, over the Western Highlands, and up to the northern isles where it left the land behind and skimmed the foam-flecked swell of the dark, mighty and inscrutable northern ocean. Eventually it came to rest on the virgin whiteness of the Arctic ice.

At that point I decided I’m definitely not a north person. I think I’d prefer to go the other way, there to laze languidly in the ever-accommodating sunshine either side of siestas, and spend the wee small hours engaged in meaningful conversation with sultry senoritas. Problem, though. It seems to me that the warm places are full of bad guys and big spiders, and I doubt I’d like tequila.

I wonder what it’s like in Casablanca these days. Maybe I could open a bar and import my own scotch. I could hire a pianist to play As Time Goes By, and then I might spot an ex-girlfriend sitting quietly in the corner. ‘Hi, Jeff,’ she’d say, and I’d reply ‘Bloody hell! You’ve aged.’ And she’d come back with ‘So have you. Never mind; we’ll always have Barnsley.’

 *  *  *

I had a dream once in which I was sailing a small, fragile boat past the northern tip of the northern isles and out into the foam-flecked swell of the dark, mighty and inscrutable northern ocean. It frightened the bloody life out of me.

3 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Barnsley! Thanks Jeff, I was greatly in need of some mirth today, tea went spluttering forth, almost reached the arctic. North, land of the dead a scary place to visit for sure...

JJ said...

I really did have that dream. It was the power of the dark northern ocean - and me in a tiny boat - that was so terrifying. I've been on such a sea in real life, but I was in a Royal Navy frigate that was built for such conditions.

Anthropomorphica said...

I didn't doubt it, myself I'm an admirer of the sea but not so enamoured with travelling on it or in it!!