Friday 14 December 2012

Being Prompted by Mr Campbell.

Sara pointed me in the direction of Joseph Campbell, so I read the (very long) Wikipedia article on him. Four thoughts emerged:

1) I find it slightly unnerving that people of such energy, wide ranging talent, high intellect and breadth of mind exist.

2) I find it curious, to say the least, that a culture which produces a person like Joseph Campbell also has a Bible Belt and puts the likes of GW Bush in charge of its affairs for eight years.

3) I find it interesting that after producing many great philosophers over thousands of years, we still haven’t really got a clue as to what life is all about. All we’ve got is a range of ingenious variations on how it works.

4) I find it mildly heartening to speculate that if ever I do get to know what it’s all about, I won’t have to come here any more except maybe as either a guru or a playboy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, very good! If you'd like a nice read, I highly recommend The Power of Myth. It's not too long, but is a breath of fresh air in many ways, including its conversational style.

JJ said...

OK, I'll start by searching Amazon for a second hand copy.