Monday 3 December 2012

The Walk, the Water, and a Worm.

The walk tonight was very different from those of the previous few nights. The temperature had risen a little above freezing, and so the liberally arrayed ice pools had reverted to dirty water. And yet it felt colder because the air was heavy with a chilly dampness and there was a stiff breeze blowing. It was also very dark; there was no moon and the sky was almost clear.

It was not, however, without compensations. The big fir tree at the front of Rose Mount was possessed of a misty blue aura, courtesy of the pulsating corkscrew of Christmas lights illuminating the damp atmosphere. And because I went out a little later than usual, the eastern stars were higher in the heavens and I finally got to see Saiph. I can’t say it was very impressive, but at least now I’ve made the acquaintance of the whole of Orion.

On the way back I thought of a little story, about a holy man and some animals. Maybe I’ll write it one of these days if I’m in the mood.

*  *  *

I found a thoroughly dehydrated earthworm in my porch today. It was so dry that it was almost solid, and I was sure it was dead. Nevertheless, I put in my hand and ran cold water over it for a few seconds. Guess what; it started to move, so I put it under some dead leaves on the embankment behind my kitchen and wished it well. It reminded me of Miss Sarah. I wonder how she is.

7 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Snails, I've heard, can come back back from complete dehydration too. I think you should give Sarah a glass of water, have I missed too much to catch up?

JJ said...

I rather think you have, Mel. I'm quite friendless these days - apart from the other Mel, my ex.

Anthropomorphica said...

Ah well, that makes two of us, I often think at least Jeff humours me!

JJ said...

Humours you, Duchess? Hardly!

JJ said...

I think that should have been Contessa, not Duchess.

Anthropomorphica said...

Yes quite, Duchess is frightfully frumpy!

JJ said...

It's because you took that splendid picture down. I forgot which particular brand of aristocrat it spoke of. Sorry.