Monday 24 December 2012

A Christmas Eve Ramble.

It’s Christmas Eve and I can’t think of anything to write about. I want to write something… I do… so I’m going to sit here and ramble about whatever comes into my head. OK? OK.

I think I should say ‘thank you’ to all those people who not only drop onto my blog, but also take the time and trouble to comment. What pleases me most is the quality of the people who do that. I’ve noticed, you see, that there is a culture of obsequiousness abroad in the blogosphere. There are those who appear to regard it as a forum for mutual and effusive praise, whether warranted or not. I don’t get that sort. When I’m offered praise, it sound earnest; but I don’t just get praise. Sometimes people round on me, sometimes they disagree with me (thereby forcing me into extended argument or explanation, which I find irritating because I’m lazy,) sometimes they point out some fact or detail which I’ve got wrong. That’s good; it’s how it should be. So thank you.

I had to go out today, partly to get a few extra food items to see me through to my next shopping trip on Friday, but also to buy a new vacuum cleaner. The one I’ve had for about ten years – which was a very good one – chose yesterday to become number whatever-it-is on the list of Things That Have Gone Wrong and Needed to be Replaced in 2012. This year has been a bit of a drain on my bank balance. But anyway, what I noticed again today was what I’ve been noticing all my life – that young women always look prettier at Christmas. I’ve a strong suspicion that it’s a pagan thing.

And here’s something odd: the young woman on the checkout where I bought my food items looked remarkably like Lady Number 2 in my Frog Song post – the one who wasn’t at home when I rang. I was going to ask her to elope with me, you know. I was – really. When I saw her a few months later and told her all about it, she said she probably would have done so because she was just in the mood for eloping with me. Ha! Fancy that. A whole different road in life fallen into the abyss through the simple accident of one person having been out of the house at the wrong – or right – time. It would have all ended in tears, I’m sure. There was some chemistry there, but we weren’t really suited. Nevertheless, it made me slightly wistful to see her young double all these years on, charging me £2.45 for some bread, milk, potatoes and porridge oats. Life can be hilarious sometimes, can’t it?

I watched some of two adaptations of A Christmas Carol this evening. One was the old Alastair Sim version made in the 1950s, and the other was the latest Jim Carey Pixar version. The latter was quite spectacular in parts, but it didn’t hold a candle to the old one for charm.

Dickens was a funny bloke. He obviously had a big heart, but he just didn’t know where to draw the line in expressing it. There’s a huge gulf between strong, understated sentiment, and the overstated kind that’s so mawkish you want to get hold of Tiny freggin’ Tim, boil him with his own pudding, and bury him with a stake through his heart. He could tug at your emotional strings given the right treatment, but in Dickens’s overly zealous hands, he becomes quite a revolting little creature.

In Jane Eyre, Jane Eyre has found her long-lost family and is very happy, but she still misses Mr Rochester dreadfully. She’s now feeling somewhat overawed by the strong, taciturn, Grecian-visaged St John Rivers. He’s a bit of a cold fish, is St John. I’m hoping that Mr R is going to ride over there, call him a cad, and biff him on the nose. It’s a good nose, apparently, but that’s no excuse. I like Jane. I think I’m supposed to. And by the way, just in case anybody doesn’t know, St John isn’t pronounced St John when it’s a personal name. It’s pronounced Sinjun.

I think I should quite like to eat the last of my mince pies now. I start the Christmas cake tomorrow. I have five Christmas cards and two presents.

Happy Christmas, if you’re interested in such a notion.

11 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Thank you, very much, for clarifying between the spelling and the pronunciations of St John and ' Sink in' I was confused by that the first time I watched a film adaptation after reading the book. I thought that may be the case but was never sure.

I've been reading Wuthering heights again. I do believe Catherine and Heathcliff loved each other, but in a damaged way. Seems that they may have never learned to express such strong emotions other than anger... seems that the only time they wwitnessed a display of strong emotions it was usually anger or fear.

andrea kiss said...

Thank you, very much, for clarifying between the spelling and the pronunciations of St John and ' Sinjin' I was confused by that the first time I watched a film adaptation after reading the book. I thought that may be the case but was never sure.

I've been reading Wuthering heights again. I do believe Catherine and Heathcliff loved each other, but in a damaged way. Seems that they may have never learned to express such strong emotions other than anger... seems that the only time they wwitnessed a display of strong emotions it was usually anger or fear.

JJ said...

Well, OK, but it's still a fact that the only question at issue is what Emily intended, and Emily was an unusual woman. Even Charlotte thought her strange, or at least referred to her 'peculiarities.' I honestly feel that if there's one case where the leading characters have to be assessed through a fairly deep understanding of the author's nature, it's Wuthering Heights.

Anthropomorphica said...

Oh JJ, didn't you see the Blackadder version that was on today? It was a gem, plenty of irreverence peppered with low brow humour and Baldrick in a posing pouch, I may be scarred for life...

Choke that wretch Tim on a sixpence I say. Surely that must have happened from time to time.

I remember reading Jane Eyre at school and got quite cross with her, I think I found her too much of a martyr and wanted the mad woman in the west wing to rush out and smear her in poo. May have to try it again and see if my opinion differs any.

Do you eat bread sauce with your Christmas dinner? I look forward to it all year, yes really!

JJ said...

I had no idea there was a Blackadder version on. I'm so off the TV these days that I rarely even bother to check the schedules any more.

I gather Little Nell is even worse than Tiny Tim, but I never read the book.

Jane Eyre a martyr? Mmm... Yes and no, I think. She can be servile and self-sacrificing, but she can also be tough, strong and uncompromising. I find her a fascinating and complex character. But there's no point in talking to me about Bronte characters because I'm so obsessed with the Brontes.

I think I've only had bread sauce about twice in my life. Isn't that something cooks make? I have enough difficulty co-ordinating baked and roast potatoes with a Linda McCartney vegetarian roast!

andrea kiss said...

I'll have to read more about Emily. I've always paid more attention to Charlotte.

Bread sauce? What is it? A type of gravy?

Anyway, i hope you're enjoying the holidays!

JJ said...

Bread sauce is a mystery to me, Andrea. None of the women I lived with - including my mother - were given to making it; I only had it a couple of times while out visiting. As far as I recall, it's what you'd expect: a thick white sauce that tastes of bread. I remember liking it, but not sufficient to make me want to learn how to make it. I stick to the easy stuff.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Jeff. We drank a toast to your health and happiness (and to your blog).
Mrs North of Yonkers

JJ said...

Thank you, MM (ha!) And the same to you. You're my kind of family.

Just one request, if I may. Please pat Mr Dog on the head. I'm especially fond of dogs.

New Year's Eve next. Can't wait...

Anonymous said...

Request granted. Mr Dog got lots of Christmas presents by the way.
MM (Gotcha!)

JJ said...

You mean he got more than me? I only got two. Oh well, fortune to the deserving, I suppose. I'm sure Mr Dog's karma is much better balanced than mine.