Monday 3 December 2012

God and Tedium.

Dracula, page 309, Jonathan Harker’s journal:

‘My only comfort is that we are in the hands of God.’

Dracula, page 312, Mina Harker’s journal:

‘We are truly in the hands of God.’

Dracula, page 313, Mina Harker’s journal:

‘I do hope that my darling will not run any chance of danger – more than need be; but we are in God’s hands.’

And on top of that, we get regular doses of ‘God will sustain me,’ ‘I pray God will forgive me,’ ‘With God’s help we shall prevail’ etc, etc, etc ad nauseum. I know I have to shut up about this because I’m falling prey to repetition myself, but this God stuff has been going on for about the last two hundred freggin’ pages, and it’s becoming very, very tedious.

8 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Drain them both quickly I say!

JJ said...

Not too much to go now, and we're in a good bit at the moment.

Anthropomorphica said...

I hope you're reading it with a Transylvanian-North Yorks accent. Drac was bound to have picked up a twang ;)

JJ said...

You mean like Gupta the shopkeeper in Open All Hours?

'Ee, lad. that's pure tat.'

Anthropomorphica said...

Wouldn't that be brilliant! If only Mary Shelley had thought of that ;)

JJ said...

Mary Shelley might have done; Bram Stoker evidently didn't. By a strange coincidence, I bought a copy of Frankenstein today.

Anthropomorphica said...

Hee hee, always mix up the two!!

JJ said...

If it's any help, Mel, Stoker is the one with the heavier beard growth.