Saturday 1 December 2012

Professional Incompetence.

I just looked at an advertising flyer that fell out of a TV listings magazine. It was for TalkTalk, and said:

Britain’s best value
Unlimited TV
broadband and phone
(Compared to Sky, Virgin and BT)

Compared to? Wouldn’t you think that a highly paid advertising copy writer would know something as fundamental as the difference between ‘compared to’ and ‘compared with?’

But then, most things that drop out of TV listings are rubbish anyway. Maintains the general tone.

*  *  *

And now I must go and check whether the wall behind my bed head is dry. I painted it this afternoon, and so the bed is out of position. I dislike that; it unsettles me. A bed, like a scotch bottle with at least eight measures in it, should be ready and waiting at all times. It’s one of life’s little pillars of comfort.

No comments: