Wednesday 26 December 2012

An Idle Speculation.

I had a thought this morning.

A thought? Yup.

We all wonder what happens when we die, right? And there’s that old belief that the reality in which we live is somehow self-created. Well, maybe when we die, especially if we die ‘prematurely’, our minds don’t accept the fact for a while; maybe they go on creating another version of the same reality. So when my brother died on the operating table nine years ago, maybe he didn’t know he was dead. Maybe he’s still living, or thinks he is, in a second, parallel, reality – one in which a version of me also exists. Or maybe I’ve died in that version, so he it is who thinks his brother is dead, not me.

I do understand the logical objections to this, but maybe it’s an uncomfortable fact that when logic appears untenable, it’s actually only unfathomable. And I’m not proposing this as a theory, but one never knows, does one?

No comments: