Saturday 30 June 2012

What Women Didn't Like.

Here are four things that women said to me when I was a young man:

1) No woman would bother with a man who wears suede shoes. I mean, men who wear suede shoes aren’t interested in women, are they?

2) I can respect a man who works with his hands, like a factory worker. And I can respect a man who works with his head, like an office worker. But I could never respect a man who works in a shop.

3) I couldn’t possibly go with a man who didn’t smoke.

4) I never trusted men who wore shoes with soft soles. You can’t hear them coming.

How times do change.

7 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I've just about stopped laughing, brilliant, especially no.4!!!!

JJ said...

I saved number 4 till last. My mother said that.

And number 2 was said to me by a woman I worked with - in a shop! Young Mary Davies (of whom I was slightly enamoured at the time) came to my rescue. 'But he's got callouses on his hands, look. So he must be OK.'

Wendy S. said...

Wow, what type of women did you run into? Brit. women? Ah well, I guess that some women are silly geese and therefore are only attracted to certain ganders. Hope the comments didn't effect your self-esteem too much.

JJ said...

Well, I'd say those statements are a fair representation of how working class women from industrial areas saw men in those days. I once had a girlfriend finish with me because she said I wasn't sufficiently domineering. Nice girl she was, too - had an Irish bricklayer father who insisted she be home by 10.30. Happy days.

JJ said...

Self-esteem? What self-esteem?

Anthropomorphica said...

So glad that was your mum, somehow that makes it even better.

JJ said...

She'd had the kind of life that made her suspicious of men, but she still meant it humorously.