Wednesday 13 June 2012

Balanced in My Favour.

Who should I meet coming out of the fruit shop but the Lady B’s mama and sister. Sister Rebecca smiled and said ‘Hi, Jeff,’ which was a bit of a yo moment, since said sister matches said Lady in the scrummy stakes rather well. Different but equal, I would say (because you never know who might be reading your blog, do you?)

Then there was the woman in the supermarket. I’ve mentioned her before on this blog. She’s obviously of East European origin, as evidenced by the look and the language, and I’ve written about how she used to stare at me with fierce eyes. Today she turned to me and smiled. She’s never done that before, and being smiled at by a pair of fierce, Slavic eyes is a chastening experience, I can tell you.

So then there was the other woman in the supermarket. She was behind me in the checkout queue, and as I was finishing up packing and paying, she started trying to push my trolley out of the way with her own. She was all tight-lipped, screwy-eyed and nadgy. I braced the trolley with my hip and moved when I was ready.

Oh well, since the ratio of smiles to frowns was 2:1, I suppose I should count it a good day.

Report on the doctor visit coming later.

No comments: