Thursday 14 June 2012

Blood and a Bit of Mania.

I just had three phials of blood taken out of my arm. The nurse said it was normal for blood to be that colour. Really?

I tried the ‘will one arm be enough’ joke, but she wasn’t impressed. She said she’d heard them all before. Suitably abashed, I decided not to ask whether I could possibly have a spare phial to take as a gift for the Transylvanian lady dentist (beats a boring bunch of flowers, right?) So instead, we talked about the price of coffee and how it’s always the women who make the sacrifices.

Then I went to Homebase and bought the rug for my office.

Coming home I had Bach’s ‘Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring’ playing very loudly on the car radio. I passed the field where the sheep are, and they looked supremely peaceful, grazing and resting in the sunshine. Things suddenly seemed OK, and it made me laugh for some reason. It occurred to me that domesticated landscapes have their benefits in this life-of-only-passing-the-time. And then I felt the most urgent need to talk with the Lady Bella.

OK, I’m weird.

And now it’s lunchtime and the sun is still shining, so I’m going to eat it in the garden. The lunch, that is, not the sun.

No comments: