Saturday 23 June 2012

Spirits Galore.

Odd things happen in and around this house, mostly at the back where my office, kitchen and bedroom are. I think they’re becoming focussed on my office now, and here’s the evidence:

1) About a year ago I made a post about the curious incident when my mobile phone, which was lying on the office desk, called my land line phone about two feet away – while I was in another room. I talked to two people who know about mobile phones, and neither could explain it so I put it down to some odd electronic glitch.

2) Since then, there have been several occasions when I’ve caught a glimpse of somebody walking past my office window in the direction of the back door. I’ve even gone out to see who it is, but there’s never been anybody there so I don’t bother any more.

3) A few nights ago you might remember that I saw my pen turn half a revolution and then turn back again.

4) The following day I found something in my office – I’ve forgotten what it was now – which wasn’t where I was sure I’d put it.

5) This morning came the clincher. I have an old range in my office – a fireplace with two ovens at the side and a hearth on the front. I never use it and regard it as an ornamental feature. It’s painted black, and I haven’t dusted in here for a while so the black paint has a thin film of dust on it. There’s a bowl of pot pourri sitting on the hearth, and this morning I found it had been moved about an inch and a half to the left, as clearly evidenced by the circular ‘hole’ in the dusty surface. I’ve had no reason to go anywhere near it, so who moved the bowl?

So, since I do all my late night scotch drinking in here, I think I should stop calling it an office and re-title it The Spirit Room instead. That’s exciting, isn’t it?

But, of course, it might have nothing to do with spirits; it might be the little folk playing tricks. Still exciting, though.

No comments: