Saturday 30 June 2012

Seeing the Sad Side.

I just spent quite some time leaning on the gate of the field where the sheep are, watching them. The lambs are developing individual characteristics now. They’re different in height and build; they have different faces and voices; they even have different mannerisms. They’re still attached to their mothers, though, often standing close and rubbing heads, or lying together when they’re not grazing.

Many of them looked back at me. Call me fanciful if you like, but I thought I saw anxiety in their eyes, and I wondered whether they thought I’d come to take them away. One day soon I’ll go up the lane and somebody will have come and taken them away. That’s what they’re there for; that’s why we breed them.

I’m making no judgement here, nor trying to score ethical points. I just found it a bit sad, that’s all.

3 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Eek, I know!
There is a sheep family now here on this little plot in France, mum, dad (who bleats like he smoke 50 a day) and lambling. Tiny Ouessant sheep and safe from the pot, watching them have their mad half hour is a joy!

Have named them Gilbert, Gretl and Gretchen.

Wendy S. said...

I think it's wonderful and important you have compassion for all animals and I think sheep and other animals do experience anxiety. It's part of their survival mechanism and a baby animal being separated from its mother is very sad indeed.

JJ said...

Mel: Presumably Ouessant sheep are a rare breed that people don't breed for meat.

Wendy: I think so too. I suppose lambs have to separated from their mothers while they're still lambs or else butchers couldn't call the meat 'lamb.' And I'm still not trying to score points.