Wednesday 20 June 2012

Fort Worth and Propoganda.

I had a visit from Fort Worth, Texas tonight. The name suggests a wooden palisaded structure, stuck out in the arid prairie and populated by nervous, sweaty, baccy-chewing men in blue hats, while bronzed Comanche braves encircle it menacingly riding palomino ponies bareback.

I don’t suppose it’s much like that these days. I expect they have cars and skyscrapers and TVs and McDonald’s now. I’ll bet the mayor even wears a suit. Shame.

You know, I want somebody to make a little inventory. I want them to go through all the westerns ever made (at least the cowboys & Indians ones) and compare how many Indians fell off their horses (having been shot three at a time with one bullet) with how may bluecoats lurched against the side of a wagon wheel clutching an arrow to their chest (the other ten having missed, of course.)

5 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I'd make an inventory for you but i absolutely can not stand westerns. It started when i was a kid. They made me feel dirty and like i couldn't breathe because of all the dust and dirt blowing about. Made my hands feel dry, too. Isn't that so odd? They still have that effect on me. Shame, though, taking the inventory could make for a good drinking game.

JJ said...

I wonder whether it's a past life thing. I'm curiuous to know how you feel about Indians.

I liked westerns as a young boy, but went off them somewhere around age 12. I just found them boring after that (except the Clint Eastwood ones.) My preferences turned to sea-going adventures and horror films.

andrea kiss said...

Well, i've mentioned before that my father's mother's mother was at least 1/2 Native American, possibly more so... i'll send you an email discussing it further... I'm trying to type now but can't concentrate because of others trying to talk to me...

andrea kiss said...

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/558621_10150927631731368_955681047_n.jpg

JJ said...

You did. Sorry. I take it you don't mean THE OTHERS.

The Indian issue interests me. As far as I can tell, it seems the liberal approach is to throw subsidies their way so they can get a proper education and live proper lives like proper white folks do. I wonder whether there's any move to give back some of the land so they can live independent lives in accordance with their own culture. Is that being too simplistic? I suppose it probably is, this far down the road of history.