Wednesday 20 June 2012

A Strange Day.

As Arkwright muttered through many a closing sequence ‘It’s been a strange day today, Lord.’ So what should I talk about?

1) The little girl riding the shopping trolley in the supermarket like Queen Boudica, ably directing her grandparents and getting pretty much everything she wanted.

2) The plumber who came to do a job and interrupted my lunch in the process, and who then proceeded to give me the benefit of his advice on all manner of matters, the content of which was at best obvious and at worst spurious, and all of which was irritating.

3) Meeting a man from Green Lane who turned out to be Farmer Sillitoe’s younger son, and with whom I spoke at length about the magic of the land and community spirit.

4) Discovering I can buy a new computer printer/scanner/copier for a quarter of the price of a set of original cartridges for my old printer which works perfectly well – and feeling annoyed that modern commercial practice virtually forces me to throw away a good piece of equipment and buy a new one.

5) Feeling nervous about the results of my blood tests which are due tomorrow, but which I probably won’t get because the doctors are due be on strike over the government meddling with their pensions.

6) Feeling a bit sad that the three days of decent weather we’ve had for the first time in June are set to end tonight, with the weather forecast for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday reading rain, rain, rain and rain.

7) Being generally in a state that was rushed, bothered, flat and anxious.

Well, there you have it. That was today in a nutshell.

No comments: