Sunday 17 June 2012

Contrast.

My walk this afternoon was accompanied by the strident sound of somebody driving a noisy, two-stroke buggy in the fields between Church Lane and Mill Lane.

This evening I spent some of the still, cool, early twilight standing in the wood at the top of my own lane, listening only to the staggering variety of bird chatter filling the canopy.

It’s interesting that for the first half of my life to date I had no interest in birds at all. Those were the days of suburban living. They were about the playing of rugby, cricket and football, the going to work in a suit and carrying a briefcase, and the possession of many trappings including a mortgage. Those were the days of living a regular lifestyle. And then I took my first tentative steps outside the tram lines, and along came the birds.

No comments: