Thursday 28 June 2012

A Scented Evening.

This evening’s walk took me via the sunken lane called The Hollow, which I’ve mentioned several times on this blog. The verges and embankments in The Hollow are carpeted with wild garlic, and the heavy rain that accompanied this morning’s thunder storms had beaten it down. The result was several minutes walk through a deep ravine swamped with the pungent smell of garlic, until I reached the top where another scent took over.

I’d always thought it was the smell of cow parsley, but further investigation appears to prove me wrong. Cow parsley has no smell, apparently. What I’ve been calling cow parsley all these years is actually hemlock, which is very similar but blooms a little later. My book on wild flowers says it has an ‘unpleasant odour,’ but I disagree. It reminds me of the smell of old fashioned disinfectant, and I rather like it. It also takes me back to those long, carefree hours spent fishing as a kid, which was when I first noticed it. It was part of the experience, and that sort of thing stays with you.

Returning along Bag Lane, my walk was arrested by a smell I recognised without doubt. Honeysuckle – the sweet smell of a lady’s boudoir (or so I assume!) I looked for the source, and there it was – a yellow variety in the hedgerow of the Old Rectory. I sucked in deep lungfulls of it before coming home.

Soon it will be the turn of the meadowsweet to flower, and then the air will smell even sweeter.

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I want to visit that Hollow.

There is a house in the town where i grew up and often saw while driving by... i've had several dreams about going there in the dream there is the smell of this certain plant that i've smelled before and wasn't sure what it was... what you said about hemlock smelling like an old disinfectant makes me think that that is what it is. I'd like to visit that house and see if it really smells like that there. I believe it does.

JJ said...

It grows to about 5-6ft in height, has a thick stame and the flowers look like white umbrellas. It blooms between June and August in Britain, but it might be earlier in TN.

Anthropomorphica said...

Hibbity Hobbit! Bag Lane, otherwise known as Bag End ;)

It was the smell that alerted said friend to suspicious cordial, we'd gone as far as boiling it...

Teasing aside, I love reading about your walks, you always paint wonderful mind pictures!

JJ said...

Hobbit by nature is fine by me, Mel. My problem is that whatever I am, I'm always drawn to being the opposite. Maybe I'll get over it one day. I'm trying.