Sunday 9 October 2011

Flash2.

I was bored waiting for a TV programme to start, so I thought I’d attempt another 100-word piece of flash fiction:

Turning the Tables.

Princess Griselda spotted a frog sitting beside an enchanted pool.

‘I’ll cut its legs off and roast them for lunch,’ she thought.

‘What a waste of an opportunity,’ said the frog. ‘Kiss me instead and the transformation will be to your advantage.’

‘How so, you smelly little reptile?’ answered the princess.

‘Actually, I’m not a reptile; I’m an amphibian. But never mind. Kiss me once upon my nose and see what magic will be wrought.’

So the princess kissed the frog. A flash of golden light rent the glade and the princess turned into a housefly, which the frog ate.

4 comments:

Nuutj said...

I was wondering if you hide any metaphor or cynical idea in this. I would like to know. I have shared this on my Google Plus for I find this amusing.

JJ said...

Nice idea, Mei-shan, but no. I frequently hide metaphors in things, but on this occasion I was just being silly and practising the technique of telling a complete story in 100 words. Nevertheless, I do appreciate your confidence, even though it was misplaced on this occasion.

Nuutj said...

A friend of mine there likes your story and left the below comment on my stream. I find his comment amusing too.....And someday if this story might become famous, someone would try adding ethics to your story anyway. :P

----------------------------------------------------
Below is a quote from a Polish comedy series.

Famous russian writer Sofronov wrote once a novel.
A king put beggar's clothes on and wandered from one house to another. Everyone was driving him out except a poor shoemaker from suburbs which shared last piece of bread with him. The next day the shoemaker was hanged up.
What's the point? One must know who he has to deal with. Otherwise it can turn out as a terrible mistake.

JJ said...

Ah, but the shoemaker's fate was unfair. At least my frog was balancing the princess's karma.