Monday 10 October 2011

A Matter of Bovine Manners.

The land that runs around the back and sides of my house has a herd of heifers in it. So does the field on the other side of the lane that I can see from my garden. The two plots are owned by different farms, and I’ve noticed something interesting.

Every day the two farmers come along and empty a bag of supplement feed into a trough at the end of each field, then they call the cows across. The animals in the field at the back walk sedately towards their trough in perfect single file. The ones on the other side of the lane gallop towards theirs like an undisciplined rabble. Why is that, I wonder.

I can only assume that the cows at the back are properly brought up English cows, whereas the ones over the lane are probably a bunch of foreign Johnnies what never got taught no proper manners.

No comments: