Friday 28 October 2011

The Best of All Possible Worlds.

I’ve almost completely stopped watching the news, current affairs programmes and virtually everything the TV has to offer. Irresponsible, isn’t it? I have a duty to keep abreast of matters, don’t I? I should know what’s going on so I can play my part as an involved citizen, shouldn’t I?

But of what, exactly, am I a citizen? I see a drab world presided over by drab politicians, drab entrepreneurs and drab financiers. I see a timid, toothless media that seeks to do little but recycle what the drab people create. I see an entertainment industry splashing a thin layer of gaudy, glitzy colour on it all, making heroes of celebrities, stick-women-with-attitude and prima donna fucking sports stars.

It’s a world sans magic, sans mystery, and almost sans imagination. And so I’ve stopped looking at it.

Dr Pangloss is vindicated, it seems.

No comments: