Saturday 15 October 2011

Far Side Cows and a Gallic Encounter.

An unusual herd of cows has taken up residence in a field off Mill Lane. At first glance they look to be a typically English herd of Friesian milkers. Although having the same markings, however, closer inspection reveals a few differences. They’re fractionally taller, bigger boned, heavier of shoulder and thigh, more square headed, and they look at you with eyes that aren’t far short of demonic. To my fanciful mind, they appeared to belong in a Gary Larsson cartoon. I expect they’re some American or Prussian breed, or something – some place where the square headed, big boned look is fashionable. Definitely not Chinese, no.

--------------------------------------

And while I was perambulating my peaceful pace along Mill Lane, a car stopped and the occupants asked me for directions to the mediaeval manor house. They turned out to be a young French couple, so I got to practice my French for the first time in many years. All seven words of it. The young couple smiled indulgently while I did the English eccentric thing. That was fun.

No comments: