Friday 21 October 2011

Waiting.

All through the summer I sat out in my garden in the evening, watching the planes flying into EMA and thinking ‘I want to be on one and going somewhere.’ So I renewed my passport. And now the travel idea has stalled. Why?

Because, looking back, I can honestly say that travel never brought anything of deep significance or satisfaction. I can say ‘I rode a streetcar in New Orleans,’ ‘I looked down on Macy’s from the Empire State Building,’ or ‘I sailed between icebergs and watched dolphins riding the bow wave.’ OK, I’m glad I did; but they were fleeting experiences. I went to Ireland once looking for something. Whatever it was, I didn’t find it.

No, all the experiences of depth and significance came walking past my front door and I simply let them in.

So what now? I’m becoming bored and impatient, but I’m not prepared to squander a lot of money simply buying a bag of disillusionment. Of course, if there was a particular reason to go somewhere specific, that would be different.

No comments: