Friday 14 October 2011

Being Where You Feel Comfortable.

I was out trimming my neighbour’s hedge today when I heard a voice call ‘hello.’ I turned round to see three little girls standing by the school fence on the other side of the road, so I went over and talked to them about matters concerning their day at school. One of them, apparently the leader, a blonde girl of around nine who’d already developed a manner suggesting she’s going to rule a household with a rod of iron one day soon, asked ‘And how has your day been?’

What? I’ve been around a bit, you know, and I’m no spring chicken, but here I was engaged in a conversation being directed by a nine-year-old girl. It throws you a bit. It does. And just as I was mumbling some sort of half-baked reply, several more little girls turned up and started giggling at me. I decided I was out of my depth; it seemed all too conspiratorial. I conceded defeat and went back to trimming the hedge.

Shortly afterwards I went to post a letter and encountered several more little girls in a field near the post box. But they were of the bovine variety. Much more up my street. One of them, a sweet brown and white little lady who came up to about the level of my stomach, took great delight in having her neck stroked and her ears tickled. In fact, she behaved more like a dog than a cow. Not that she barked or anything, but you know what I mean. Pity she's too big to go for a ride in the car.

I think I’m finally finding my niche in life.

No comments: