Sunday 14 July 2013

Trials and the Waltz Form.

I’ve been wracking what’s left of my brain in an attempt to find something suitable for a late-night post. I failed, so it will have to be a little review of the day in four easy chapters.

1) Trial by computer.

2) There was a solitary little flying thing hovering around me when I was leaning on the farm gate this evening. With swallows and house martins still active, and bats about to become so, I wondered whether it would make it through the night. I wished it good luck, although that was verging on the hypocritical since I also want my bat buddies to get fed, fit and fat before the winter arrives.

3) I was reminded that I’m really an elf, and I was further reminded that elves have a problem. Their quiet and refined ways impose themselves not one jot on the day-to-day lives and sensibilities of orcs and others of the lower orders, but such lower orders can have a devastating effect in the opposite direction. I first became aware of this phenomenon when I lived in a remote spot on the Northumbrian coast (by remote, I mean there was nothing there except sand dunes, a few cottages and lots of birds. There was a power station visible a few miles to the south, but that doesn’t count. The visitors were the problem.) The real elves, however, have the benefit of magic to keep the rowdy college kids off of their goddam lawn, whereas pretend elves like me have no such resource.

4) Having become used to getting an average of about one e-mail every three weeks, I had two in the space of three minutes today. The first was from a very sensible person offering help with a practical problem; the second was from the priestess. It seems she’s settling among the Saxon hordes and I can go hang myself. That’s just like a priestess, isn’t it? Honest to a fault, and all the more lovable for it. I don’t think I fancy hanging myself, though; it seems a most distressing experience. I’d rather go for poisoning myself with laudanum like the hero of Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique. And that had me ruminating on all the examples of creative works which juxtapose waltz music with macabre themes. It’s the only time I like waltz music.

No comments: