Thursday 11 July 2013

Polite and Empty Sounds.

I just met a woman in the lane. She looked familiar, but I couldn’t remember who she is or where she lives. I’m fairly sure she’s local, but that’s about it. I said ‘Hello,’ and she said ‘Hi. How are you?’ The truthful reply would have been something along the lines of:

‘I’m at the end of my tether, actually. My brain is starting to doubt its ability to stand upright much longer. You know how the fabled water torture works – each drop is the same size as the previous one, but the cumulative effect is to make each one feel like a succession of heavier sledge hammers? Well, it’s a bit like that.’

Of course, I didn’t. I might have done if she’d been a friend because that’s what friends are for, but it isn’t the sort of thing you say to somebody whose very identity you can’t quite recall. Nobody wants to hear the woes of others unless it’s somebody they care about, and I'm no exception. The question ‘How are you?’ is one of those groups of meaningless sounds that near-strangers make to one another when their paths cross in the lane. If you take it seriously and answer truthfully, they run away. Well, of course they do.

And so I said ‘Fine, thanks. How are you?’

‘Oh, I’m fine.’

‘Fine.’ That’s another one to add to the collection.

I sometimes wonder why we bother, although I admit it gives me something to make a post about when I feel far from talkative. And I suppose that’s as fine a reason as any.

No comments: