Wednesday 24 July 2013

Always Look on the Bright Side...

In all fairness, it behoves me to be sufficiently magnanimous as to admit that living in a secular, notionally democratic state with a constitutional monarchy at its head does allow me (as far as I’m aware) to refer to His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge as a sprog and a naked mole rat, without being dragged to the deepest dungeon and hung in rusty chains to rot.

If the price of such a privilege is to tolerate preposterous titles and a half-witted press (or quarter, in the case of the Daily Mail) then I should pay it without too much complaint. And so I do. I do.

2 comments:

Madeline said...

Awww, I like Prince Naked Mole Rat. Your monarchy is antiquated and expensive yet it still manages to pay for everyone's health care. What's up with that? I guess Naked Mole Rats are the price you pay for college education that costs 1/5 what ours does. The UK pays millions for its royals, while the US prefers to spend its money on things that matter, like Beyonce and wars.

JJ said...

You know, Madeline, you really do have style for a Yankee. You may count yourself an honorary Brit if you like. I will sponsor you, even if I end up in the Tower facing the capital charge of Consorting with Revolutionary Colonials. I will permit them to make four of me and display the random parts as a salutary lesson to the Peasants of Albion, my dear. I will.

You know, this time difference is an awkward thing. I just had a Skype call from Brooklyn. Why won't New Yorkers talk to me when I'm sober? Why?